How to find us
The Centre for Theoretical Cosmology is based in Pavilion B, the Marit and Hans Rausing Pavilion, of the Centre for Mathematical Sciences. This is located on Wilberforce Road, off Madingley Road. The centre may also be reached from Clarkson Road, off Grange Road. A map of the site can be found here.
Getting here by bus
• The Uni 4 route links a number of university sites including CMS
• The C4 service runs from the Bus station. It goes down Madingley Road. • The X4 service runs from Parkside (where most coaches stop) via Madingley Road to St Neots via Cambourne. This is a limited stop service with stops very close to CMS.
• Links to X4 and C4 route maps and timetables (right hand side).
• The X5 service runs between Oxford and Cambridge. It is a limited stop service with stops very close to CMS. If coming from the Oxford direction, take the first stop after Madingley Road Park and Ride.
• Whippet bus Service 1 departs from the city centre and stops on all the Madingley Road stops close to CMS. This has a quicker route to Madingley Road than the X4 or C4.
Arriving By Car
• Our building is close to the M11 motorway (exit at Junction 13).
• Please note that parking on site is very limited and should be arranged in advance of visiting.
• Some parking is also available on nearby streets.
• There is a park and ride site within a mile of CMS.
Madingley Road Park and Ride
• The Madingley Road Park and Ride is just one mile from the Centre for Mathematical Sciences.
• The Uni 4 bus which also servers CMS stops there.
• The Park and Ride site is between the motorway turnoff and the Centre for Mathematical Sciences.
• Cambridge Park and Ride sites
From the Railway Station
• Cambridge railway station is about 3 miles from CMS.
• There is a taxi rank at Cambridge rail station. Ask for Clarkson Road. The fare should be in the region of £9.00.
• From the train station: the Uni 4 bus service links the nearby Brooklands Avenue with CMS.
Coming by Coach
• Many coach services stop at Parkside which is close to where the X4 bus service starts from.
Further Travel Information
Arriving at the Site
Wilberforce Road Entrance
Follow the signs for CMS reception. Cycle parking is provided in designated areas in the carpark.
Clarkson Road Entrance
Follow the lane-way, turn left at the Gatehouse and CMS centre core where reception is located is right in front of you. Cycle parking is provided outside the Gatehouse.
• For visitors:
Cambridge is a popular tourist and conference destination. It is therefore advisable to book accommodation well in advance of your visit. The Visit Cambridge Visitor Information Centre can help with information on accommodation and can book a place for you. Some Cambridge Colleges offer accommodation during vacations. See the
Conference Cambridge website or use their
online booking form
• For prospective students: Colleges can sometimes accommodate visitors to Open Days if they have advance notice.
• For conference organisers: Conference Cambridge is the one-stop shop for further information on University and College venues.
• For visiting academics and new staff: The University's Accommodation Service offers a wide range of properties to rent, usually for a minimum 6 month period. The Newcomers and Visiting Scholars aim to help newly arrived staff and visitors to meet local people and settle in.